HELP after Upgrade
Paul R Schmidtbleicher
2024-03-18 20:16:04 UTC
Applied the current 18 March upgrades. Result is the New Plasma Stuff
destroyed my Login ability.
There are 4 reasons that says this "Theme" will not work. Screen says
select a new theme (Wayland, XM/ice, X11) the only ones offered - Not my
original one.
Both Wayland and X11 go to a total black screen on Ctrl-Alt-Delete
The X..ICE "Theme" gives a bare bones black screen with at least a type of
menu line at the bottom.

I want back my original screen and desktop which had wallpaper and various
icons for things on the screen.

I believe it was the "Plasma" stuff that messed things up
In the bare bone screen I get other stuff & programs are still there

Any suggestions .....
It is the login screen that appears to be adding touch-screen (Screen
Keyboard)

If no ready solutions . . .
If I reinstall from scratch, can I first save my Home directory and have
stuff there intact? Or will that mess up the fresh install?

Paul Schmidtbleicher
Malcolm
2024-03-18 20:24:47 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 20:16:04 GMT
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
[...]
Hi Paul
Booting to multi-user.target or switch to a VT via crtl+alt+F1, login
as root and run systemctl isolate multi-user.target and re-run zypper
dup should help complete.

Check the Forum for the multitudes of Plasma 5->6 move threads...
--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20240315 | GNOME Shell 45.3 | 6.7.9-1-default
R Daneel Olivaw
That implies Tumbleweed.
Paul R Schmidtbleicher
2024-03-18 20:51:53 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 20:16:04 GMT Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Paul Schmidtbleicher
Hi Paul Booting to multi-user.target or switch to a VT via crtl+alt+F1,
login as root and run systemctl isolate multi-user.target and re-run
zypper dup should help complete.
Check the Forum for the multitudes of Plasma 5->6 move threads...
I followed your directions. After <zypper dup> and a Reboot I get to my
regular login screen (Good sofar). I can login, but the desktop comes up
<iceWM> the barebones thing.

Any further instructions Please

Paul
Malcolm
2024-03-18 20:55:51 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 20:51:53 GMT
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
On 18 Mar 2024 20:16:04 GMT Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Paul Schmidtbleicher
Hi Paul Booting to multi-user.target or switch to a VT via
crtl+alt+F1, login as root and run systemctl isolate
multi-user.target and re-run zypper dup should help complete.
Check the Forum for the multitudes of Plasma 5->6 move threads...
I followed your directions. After <zypper dup> and a Reboot I get to
my regular login screen (Good sofar). I can login, but the desktop
comes up <iceWM> the barebones thing.
Any further instructions Please
Paul
Hi Paul
As you can see I'm not a Plasma user, but on the login screen, there
should be an option to select the desktop?

Like I indicated, peruse the Forum...
--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20240317 | GNOME Shell 45.3 | 6.7.9-1-default
Paul R Schmidtbleicher
2024-03-18 21:08:30 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 20:51:53 GMT Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Any further instructions Please
Paul
Hi Paul As you can see I'm not a Plasma user, but on the login screen,
there should be an option to select the desktop?
Like I indicated, peruse the Forum...
Malcolm, I RISE UP TO CALL YOU BLESSED! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
The 3 Desktops offered were "Wayland, iceWM, & X11" I had it still set at
iceWM. I moved it back to Wayland and my good-old desktop appeared.
MUCH THANKS!!!

From what you advised, with a second <zypper dup> my guess is the first
one did not complete .....
Our whole town (Brewster WA) is being wired for Fiber, I just recently got
it, so there may have been some outages (???) until they finish the whole
town's installation.

Thanks again

Paul
Malcolm
2024-03-18 21:25:49 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 21:08:30 GMT
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
On 18 Mar 2024 20:51:53 GMT Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Any further instructions Please
Paul
Hi Paul As you can see I'm not a Plasma user, but on the login
screen, there should be an option to select the desktop?
Like I indicated, peruse the Forum...
Malcolm, I RISE UP TO CALL YOU BLESSED! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK
YOU! The 3 Desktops offered were "Wayland, iceWM, & X11" I had it
still set at iceWM. I moved it back to Wayland and my good-old
desktop appeared. MUCH THANKS!!!
From what you advised, with a second <zypper dup> my guess is the
first one did not complete .....
Our whole town (Brewster WA) is being wired for Fiber, I just
recently got it, so there may have been some outages (???) until they
finish the whole town's installation.
Thanks again
Paul
Hi Paul
No, as advised on the openSUSE Tumbleweed portal, best to use screen
drop to a VT at multi-user when these big upgrades come
through. What happen was the desktop crashed and the upgrade was
aborted part way through...

Ref: <https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed>
Paul R Schmidtbleicher
2024-03-18 22:19:19 UTC
Thank you for the explanation. I have bookmarked to portal and will spend
some time reading and learning. At 77years still much to learn.

Paul
Malcolm
2024-03-18 22:44:43 UTC
On 18 Mar 2024 22:19:19 GMT
Post by Paul R Schmidtbleicher
Thank you for the explanation. I have bookmarked to portal and will
spend some time reading and learning. At 77years still much to learn.
Paul
Hi Paul
If not sure, abort and post here, there is also the possibility to
download first with zypper and also do a dry run, here comes the
infamous rtfm ;) but `zypper dup --help` or man zypper shows a
plethora of options. My default is to use `zypper -vvv dup` as it
provides some more verbose output.
R Daneel Olivaw
2024-03-18 20:26:37 UTC
[...]
What level? I have Leap 15.5 (KDE, X11), completely current and
everything is working normally. Something minor was installed this
morning - and I've just added the ghostscript update after reading your
post.
As it happens I also updated my test machine (same level and config) a
couple of hours ago, rebooting after the update and looking at a couple
of online videos. No problems at all. The ghostscript update was also
installed there so it is not as though there is something newer that
I've missed.