TORscape Suse-Launcher VS. developer-oem-package
bad sector
2023-07-22 12:42:43 UTC
I just installed the Leap-15.5 Suse 'Launcher/AppArmour' package RPMs.
The also and since many years installed and often upgraded OEM tarball
is unpacked into a remote directory in which the executable is the
realworld object of a link in many distros used and abused. NB. This oem
TOR has been working flawlessly, so much so that it crashes the least of
all 8 browsers employed, and I saw no reason to muck with it. QUESTION:
what additional advantage(s) if any does the Suse (Laucher/Apparmor)
give me?
Carlos E.R.
2023-07-22 17:42:31 UTC
Post by bad sector
I just installed the Leap-15.5 Suse 'Launcher/AppArmour' package RPMs.
The also and since many years installed and often upgraded OEM tarball
is unpacked into a remote directory in which the executable is the
realworld object of a link in many distros used and abused. NB. This oem
TOR has been working flawlessly, so much so that it crashes the least of
what additional advantage(s) if any does the Suse (Laucher/Apparmor)
give me?
I don't see the relationship between apparmor and tor. No idea what you
are talking about.
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-07-22 18:48:21 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
I just installed the Leap-15.5 Suse 'Launcher/AppArmour' package RPMs.
The also and since many years installed and often upgraded OEM tarball
is unpacked into a remote directory in which the executable is the
realworld object of a link in many distros used and abused. NB. This
oem TOR has been working flawlessly, so much so that it crashes the
least of all 8 browsers employed, and I saw no reason to muck with it.
QUESTION: what additional advantage(s) if any does the Suse
(Laucher/Apparmor) give me?
I don't see the relationship between apparmor and tor. No idea what you
are talking about.
I don't either but I DL'd the package and 3 items showed up in Yast, all
of them from vendor Suse

- torbrowser-apparmor-profile
- torbrowser-launcher
- torbrowser-launcher-lang

Newer version available for Tumbleweed, I haven't installed yet, need a
reason to do so (Leap was a trial balloon).
Carlos E.R.
2023-07-22 22:34:28 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
[...]
Ok, thats simply "tor browser", and dependencies. That's the name.
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-07-23 12:50:30 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
[...]
So what do I get for installing the Suse RPM with its rags as opposed to
the developer's OEM tarball which has been working relatively flawlessly?
Carlos E.R.
2023-07-23 18:07:21 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
[...]
Better integration and testing. Bug reporting.

The organization "tor browser" comes without a customized apparmour
profile, so arguably less safe.
--
Cheers, Carlos.