Leap-15.4 Yast fails to deploy boot code
bad sector
2023-06-01 16:57:52 UTC
Execution of command "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig", "-o",
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]" failed.
Exit code: 139
Error output: Generating grub configuration file ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_TIME = "Default.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.14.21-150400.24.63-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.14.21-150400.24.63-default
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.14.21-150400.22-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.14.21-150400.22-default
Found memtest image: /boot/memtest.bin
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create
new boot entries.
Found Artix Linux (rolling) on /dev/sda1
Found Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera) on /dev/sda2
Found Slackware 15.0 x86_64 on /dev/sda3
Found openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/sda5
Found Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (22.04) on /dev/sda6
Found MX 21.3 Wildflower (21.3) on /dev/sda7
Found openSUSE Leap 15.5 Beta on /dev/sda8

I have 'locale' citations from time to time in various failed tasks but
this is the first time that booting is involved. First of all WTF does
locale have to do with booting AT ALL? I normally set such prefs during
install, for example North-America, keyboard US-english, Pangnirtung
Canada, Zulu -5h time (Eastern with daylight saving). Then, how does
"unset" get to be "supported" on a system? While on the topic, why does
Yast check for software repos and for 'trust' for a boot setup? Useless
foreign fluff should not be allowed at all within 50 miles of anything
having to do with booting. KISS!
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-01 21:15:34 UTC
Post by bad sector
Execution of command "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig", "-o",
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]" failed.
Exit code: 139
Error output: Generating grub configuration file ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_TIME = "Default.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
So, this is not the error that blocked your boot generation.
Post by bad sector
[...]
Because initrd is not only the kernel modules, it contains a minimal but
complete Linux system held in memory, with many files, used to
initialize the system (after booting itself).
Post by bad sector
I normally set such prefs during
install, for example North-America, keyboard US-english, Pangnirtung
Canada, Zulu -5h time (Eastern with daylight saving). Then, how does
"unset" get to be "supported" on a system? While on the topic, why does
Yast check for software repos and for 'trust' for a boot setup? Useless
foreign fluff should not be allowed at all within 50 miles of anything
having to do with booting. KISS!
You would have to ask the developers.
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-01 23:50:42 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Execution of command "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig", "-o",
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]" failed.
Exit code: 139
Error output: Generating grub configuration file ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_TIME = "Default.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
So, this is not the error that blocked your boot generation.
It's the error message I got

BTW the boot setup DID complete, I know that because the reason I had
tried it with Leap-15.4 is that TW (the previous one tried) put only TW
in the boot menu but after this run I had all the syustems in the menu.
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-02 10:09:25 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Execution of command "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig", "-o",
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]" failed.
Exit code: 139
Error output: Generating grub configuration file ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_TIME = "Default.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
So, this is not the error that blocked your boot generation.
It's the error message I got
BTW the boot setup DID complete, I know that because the reason I had
tried it with Leap-15.4 is that TW (the previous one tried) put only TW
in the boot menu but after this run I had all the syustems in the menu.
You can tell YaST to put only boot for the running system and ignore the
rest.

Or, you could set up a locale.
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-02 20:48:10 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Execution of command "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig", "-o",
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]" failed.
Exit code: 139
Error output: Generating grub configuration file ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_TIME = "Default.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
So, this is not the error that blocked your boot generation.
It's the error message I got
BTW the boot setup DID complete, I know that because the reason I had
tried it with Leap-15.4 is that TW (the previous one tried) put only
TW in the boot menu but after this run I had all the syustems in the
menu.
You can tell YaST to put only boot for the running system and ignore the
rest.
Leap does some of what I want done, it's TW that doesn't because it
excludes other systems even though Probe-Other-OS'es' is checked. What
Leap does NOT seem to be doing is terminating the task with a proper
completion message but pops an error message instead.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Or, you could set up a locale.
Why? I had made all preferences choices at the time of installation,
isn't that sufficient?

BTW i just installed gcc-locale and the repeated grub run completed with
no error messages. No idea how come.
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-03 10:36:26 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Or, you could set up a locale.
Why?  I had made all preferences choices at the time of installation,
isn't that sufficient?
Apparently Mr root doesn't have a locale.
Post by bad sector
BTW i just installed gcc-locale and the repeated grub run completed with
no error messages. No idea how come.
Ah, then the problem was the missing package.

Did you install with "no recommends", perhaps?
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-03 22:37:47 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Or, you could set up a locale.
Why?  I had made all preferences choices at the time of installation,
isn't that sufficient?
Apparently Mr root doesn't have a locale.
but of course (re) installing gcc-locale would give mr. root a locale?
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
BTW i just installed gcc-locale and the repeated grub run completed
with no error messages. No idea how come.
Ah, then the problem was the missing package.
Did you install with "no recommends", perhaps?
Never do that, but since about the first Leap-15 I have been upgrading
instead of freshies (due to the obviously unacceptaple setup and tweak
load). I didn't uninstall gcc-locale either so what uninstalled it or
how come there was no problem with grub runs before?
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-04 02:24:08 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Or, you could set up a locale.
Why?  I had made all preferences choices at the time of installation,
isn't that sufficient?
Apparently Mr root doesn't have a locale.
but of course (re) installing gcc-locale would give mr. root a locale?
Maybe.

Telcontar:~ # locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
Telcontar:~ #
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-04 03:16:34 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Or, you could set up a locale.
Why?  I had made all preferences choices at the time of
installation, isn't that sufficient?
Apparently Mr root doesn't have a locale.
but of course (re) installing gcc-locale would give mr. root a locale?
Maybe.
Telcontar:~ # locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
# locale
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=Default.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
# su
Password:
LC_ALL=
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-04 09:33:49 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
[...]
Does /usr/lib/locale/en_US.UTF-8 exist?

It should probably be "en_US.utf8"
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-04 10:44:26 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
[...]
it is

/usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8

I also have what appears to be a balooning number of issues with
Leap-15.4 so with only days to go 15.5 I think I will just do an
upgrade, worst case scenario a freshie.

T-Bird stopped sending yesterday, messages vanish
Previously installed Pan2 nowhere to be found
Yast Software Managment fails to launch
...and on and on
LC_ALL=
Carlos E.R.
2023-06-04 18:07:09 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
[...]
I have not a single problem.
Cheers, Carlos.
bad sector
2023-06-04 21:21:14 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by bad sector
Post by Carlos E.R.
Does /usr/lib/locale/en_US.UTF-8 exist?
It should probably be "en_US.utf8"
it is
/usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8
I also have what appears to be a balooning number of issues with
Leap-15.4 so with only days to go 15.5 I think I will just do an
upgrade, worst case scenario a freshie.
   T-Bird stopped sending yesterday, messages vanish
   Previously installed Pan2 nowhere to be found
   Yast Software Managment fails to launch
   ...and on and on
I have not a single problem.
sounds like my holier-than-thou wife

I'm the only one that screws up all the time, to the point of spreading
butter on a slice of bread the wrong way |:-|