Open Konsole minimized ?
Rodney
2004-06-03 14:14:54 UTC
Is there a command to add to the konsole execute line that will open it
minimized?

Thanks.
`·.žž.·Ž¯`·.žž.·Ž¯`·-> rodney
anc
2004-06-03 19:08:07 UTC
Post by Rodney
Is there a command to add to the konsole execute line that will open it
minimized?
Thanks.
No, not according to konsole --help. You can make it start a certain size,
but not minimized. Why would you want to start it minimzed? Place an icon
on your window manager, an icon is effectively minimized, one click will
start start konsole with any options you choose.
Rodney
2004-06-03 19:28:34 UTC
Anc,

Why?

Because......

I'm running DOSEMU from the Konsole.

In order to run my DOS application correctly within DOSEMU, I'm required to
start it using the XDOSEMU command line, which opens DOSEMU in another
X-Window. Now, I have the original Konsole window and the new X-Window
running DOSEMU.

If I close the Konsole window, the X-Window it spawned will also close.

I want the Konsole window to automatically open "minimized" so only the
X-Window remains on the desktop.

The application link to the DOS application, that I built, will open the
Konsole application and automatically fire up the XDOSEMU (along with my DOS
application).... But I'm stuck with the Konsole window still sitting on my
desktop.

Are you, or anyone else aware of another Terminal (besides Konsole) that
"will" open minimized?

Thanks.
`·.žž.·Ž¯`·.žž.·Ž¯`·-> rodney
Arne Schmitz
2004-06-03 23:25:54 UTC
Post by Rodney
In order to run my DOS application correctly within DOSEMU, I'm required
to start it using the  XDOSEMU  command line,  which opens DOSEMU in
another X-Window.  Now, I have the original Konsole window and the new
X-Window running DOSEMU.
1. See my post above.
2. Why don't you create an xdosemu application icon on your desktop? Why the
stuff with konsole?

Arne
[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]
Rodney
2004-06-04 02:17:22 UTC
Post by Arne Schmitz
Why don't you create an xdosemu application icon on your desktop? Why the
stuff with konsole?
================

Ame,

Thanks for responding. I'm using Konsole because the DOS emulator DOSEMU
needs to run in a Linux Terminal. Within Konsole, at the command line, I
type XDOSEMU. This opens DOSEMU in a separate X-Window and from there I
open my DOS application.

I did create an application Link on my Desktop with a command line like
this:

XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT

Also in the Link, I have stated that the application needs to run in a
Terminal.

What this does is:
1. Opens Konsole
2. Opens the X-Window ( a 2nd window)
3. Opens my DOS application inside the X-Window.

This is all fine, except, I would like for the Konsole Terminal Window to
open minimized so only the X-Window running my DOS application is visible on
my Desktop. Otherwise, I end up with 2 windows opened on my Desktop just to
run 1 application.

If I close the Konsole Terminal Window, the X-Window also closes
immediately. So I need to keep it open. I would just like to automate it
so it opened minimized.
`·.žž.·Ž¯`·.žž.·Ž¯`·-> rodney
Jan Ritzerfeld
2004-06-04 11:11:49 UTC
Post by Rodney
Is there a command to add to the konsole execute line that will open it
minimized?
According to "kstart --help":
kstart --iconify --skiptaskbar --skippager konsole

Try Alt-F2, put "XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT" in the input field and press return.
What happens? If you start an X program from the konsole it'll close if you
close the corresponding konsole.

HTH,
Jan
A sharp tongue and a dull mind are usually found in the same head.
Rodney
2004-06-04 12:37:43 UTC
Jan,

Thank you for your response.
Post by Jan Ritzerfeld
kstart --iconify --skiptaskbar --skippager konsole
=============
In the application Link (Desktop Icon that I created), I placed your code
example in the "Terminal options" field within the "Execute" tab and I
also placed XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT in the Command Line field. When I click
on the Desktop Icon, nothing happens. If I remove all of the code in the
"Terminal options" field and click on the Desktop Icon, then Konsole is
started, then an X-Window opens with my DOS application running. I am left
with both the Konsole Window and the X-Window on my Desktop. I prefer to be
left with only the X-Window on my Desktop and the Konsole minimized.

I tried several permutations of your code example, deleting parts of it,
and they all behaved the same way.
Post by Jan Ritzerfeld
Try Alt-F2, put "XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT" in the input field and
press return. What happens?
=============
Nothing happens. The commands DOSEMU or XDOSEMU need to be run from
within a Terminal.
Post by Jan Ritzerfeld
If you start an X program from the konsole it'll close if you
close the corresponding konsole.
=============
I know. That is why I would prefer to simply minimize the Konsole window by
using some switch on startup.

Thanks,
`·.žž.·Ž¯`·.žž.·Ž¯`·-> rodney
Jan Ritzerfeld
2004-06-04 13:34:36 UTC
(...).
I tried several permutations of your code example, deleting parts of it,
and they all behaved the same way.
(...).
If you want to execute a program within the konsole, you must use -e (see
man konsole):
kstart --iconify --skiptaskbar --skippager konsole -e XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT

HTH,
Jan
He who hesitates is sometimes saved.
Jan Ritzerfeld
2004-06-04 13:35:51 UTC
(...).
I tried several permutations of your code example, deleting parts of it,
and they all behaved the same way.
(...).
If you want to execute a program within the konsole, you must use -e (see
man konsole):
kstart --skiptaskbar --skippager --iconify konsole -e XDOSEMU PDOX45.BAT

HTH,
Jan
He who hesitates is sometimes saved.
Rodney
2004-06-04 16:25:11 UTC
Jan,

That did it!

Thanks!

I placed the entire line into the command line of the "Execute" Tab for the
"Application Link" on the Desktop and it works perfectly!