Linux creator Linus Torvalds switches to Apple. "Part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds. "I'm really a technology whore".
Philip
2006-12-03 13:14:38 UTC
Torvalds, who initially created Linux for the Intel x86 platform,
revealed to the Linux Kernel Mailing List in February during a
discussion on kernel size reduction that his desktop machine no longer
featured an x86 processor. Hence, Torvalds said, a patch specific to
the x86 platform that he was submitting to the list for consideration
was totally untested.

ZDNet Australia was intrigued by this remark and sought to question
Torvalds on why the man who helped revolutionize the use of Unix on the
x86 platform would move away from it, and where he had moved to

"Part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds. "I'm
really a technology whore".
http://news.com.com/Torvalds+switches+to+Apple/2100-1003_3-5606030.html

"Linux dead".

Windows Vista

Linux and KDE.

1980s
There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.

The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
to kill you.

Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
fuck up.

http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic fucking yanks.
____________________________
ID signature
Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
Philip Davidson,
10 Ronald Avenue
West Ham
E15 3AH
East London
Mobile phone 07906821566
http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/
Toedipper
2006-12-03 15:11:42 UTC
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d//i/ne/en/2002/01/0130torvalds.jpg
"Part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds. "I'm
really a technology whore".
http://news.com.com/Torvalds+switches+to+Apple/2100-1003_3-5606030.html
http://youtu.be/-RpoWKpAL9Q
"Linux dead".
http://www.threadless.com/subs/big/75122.gif
Windows Vista
http://youtu.be/5VSBX-tXkWc
Linux and KDE.
http://youtu.be/thtmaZnxk_0
Phil do you work for Microsoft or what?
h***@virgin.net
2006-12-03 15:46:18 UTC
Post by Toedipper
Phil do you work for Microsoft or what?
<

| It needs doing. There is far too much sad nonsense. It needs doing. |
|________________________________________________________|

Many years ago lived an emperor, who thought so much of new clothes
that he spent all his money in order to obtain them; his only ambition
was to be always well dressed. He did not care for his soldiers, and
the theatre did not amuse him; the only thing, in fact, he thought
anything of was to drive out and show a new suit of clothes. He had a
coat for every hour of the day; and as one would say of a king "He is
in his cabinet," so one could say of him, "The emperor is in his
dressing-room." The great city where he resided was very gay; every day
many strangers from all parts of the globe arrived. One day two
swindlers came to this city; they made people believe that they were
weavers, and declared they could manufacture the finest cloth to be
imagined. Their colours and patterns, they said, were not only
exceptionally beautiful, but the clothes made of their material
possessed the wonderful quality of being invisible to any man who was
unfit for his office or unpardonably stupid.

"That must be wonderful cloth," thought the emperor. "If I were to be
dressed in a suit made of this cloth I should be able to find out which
men in my empire were unfit for their places, and I could distinguish
the clever from the stupid. I must have this cloth woven for me without
delay." And he gave a large sum of money to the swindlers, in advance,
that they should set to work without any loss of time. They set up two
looms, and pretended to be very hard at work, but they did nothing
whatever on the looms. They asked for the finest silk and the most
precious gold-cloth; all they got they did away with, and worked at the
empty looms till late at night. "I should very much like to know how
they are getting on with the cloth" thought the emperor. But he felt
rather uneasy when he remembered that he who was not fit for his office
could not see it.

Personally, he was of opinion that he had nothing to fear, yet he
thought it advisable to send somebody else first to see how matters
stood. Everybody in the town knew what a remarkable quality the stuff
possessed, and all were anxious to see how bad or stupid their
neighbours were. "I shall send my honest old minister to the weavers,"
thought the emperor. "He can judge best how the stuff looks, for he is
intelligent, and nobody understands his office better than he." The
good old minister went into the room where the swindlers sat before the
empty looms. "Heaven preserve us!" he thought, and opened his eyes
wide, "I cannot see anything at all," but he did not say so. Both
swindlers requested him to come near, and asked him if he did not
admire the exquisite pattern and the beautiful colours, pointing to the
empty looms. The poor old minister tried his very best, but he could
see nothing, for there was nothing to be seen. "Oh dear," he thought,
"can I be so stupid? I should never have thought so, and nobody must
know it! Is it possible that I am not fit for my office? No, no, I
cannot say that I was unable to see the cloth." "Now, have you got
nothing to say?" said one of the swindlers, while he pretended to be
busily weaving. "Oh, it is very pretty, exceedingly beautiful," replied
the old minister looking through his glasses. "What a beautiful
pattern, what brilliant colours! I shall tell the emperor that I like
the cloth very much." "We are pleased to hear that," said the two
weavers, and described to him the colours and explained the curious
pattern. The old minister listened attentively, that he might relate to
the emperor what they said; and so he did. Now the swindlers asked for
more money, silk and gold-cloth, which they required for weaving. They
kept everything for themselves, and not a thread came near the loom,
but they continued, as hitherto, to work at the empty looms. Soon
afterwards the emperor sent another honest courtier to the weavers to
see how they were getting on, and if the cloth was nearly finished.
Like the old minister, he looked and looked but could see nothing, as
there was nothing to be seen. "Is it not a beautiful piece of cloth?"
asked the two swindlers, showing and explaining the magnificent
pattern, which, however, did not exist. "I am not stupid," said the
man. "It is therefore my good appointment for which I am not fit. It is
very strange, but I must not let any one know it;" and he praised the
cloth, which he did not see, and expressed his joy at the beautiful
colours and the fine pattern. "It is very excellent," he said to the
emperor. Everybody in the whole town talked about the precious cloth.
At last the emperor wished to see it himself, while it was still on the
loom. With a number of courtiers, including the two who had already
been there, he went to the two clever swindlers, who now worked as hard
as they could, but without using any thread. "Is it not magnificent?"
said the two old statesmen who had been there before. "Your Majesty
must admire the colours and the pattern." And then they pointed to the
empty looms, for they imagined the others could see the cloth. "What is
this?" thought the emperor, "I do not see anything at all. That is
terrible! Am I stupid? Am I unfit to be emperor? That would indeed be
the most dreadful thing that could happen to me." "Really," he said,
turning to the weavers, "your cloth has our most gracious approval;"
and nodding contentedly he looked at the empty loom, for he did not
like to say that he saw nothing. All his attendants, who were with him,
looked and looked, and although they could not see anything more than
the others, they said, like the emperor, "It is very beautiful." And
all advised him to wear the new magnificent clothes at a great
procession which was soon to take place. "It is magnificent, beautiful,
excellent," one heard them say; everybody seemed to be delighted, and
the emperor appointed the two swindlers "Imperial Court weavers." The
whole night previous to the day on which the procession was to take
place, the swindlers pretended to work, and burned more than sixteen
candles.

People should see that they were busy to finish the emperor's new suit.
They pretended to take the cloth from the loom, and worked about in the
air with big scissors, and sewed with needles without thread, and said
at last: "The emperor's new suit is ready now." The emperor and all his
barons then came to the hall; the swindlers held their arms up as if
they held something in their hands and said: "These are the trousers!"
"This is the coat!" and "Here is the cloak!" and so on. "They are all
as light as a cobweb, and one must feel as if one had nothing at all
upon the body; but that is just the beauty of them." "Indeed!" said all
the courtiers; but they could not see anything, for there was nothing
to be seen. "Does it please your Majesty now to graciously undress,"
said the swindlers, "that we may assist your Majesty in putting on the
new suit before the large looking-glass?" The emperor undressed, and
the swindlers pretended to put the new suit upon him, one piece after
another; and the emperor looked at himself in the glass from every
side. "How well they look! How well they fit!" said all. "What a
beautiful pattern! What fine colours! That is a magnificent suit of
clothes!" The master of the ceremonies announced that the bearers of
the canopy, which was to be carried in the procession, were ready. "I
am ready," said the emperor. "Does not my suit fit me marvellously?"
Then he turned once more to the looking-glass, that people should think
he admired his garments. The chamberlains, who were to carry the train,
stretched their hands to the ground as if they lifted up a train, and
pretended

to hold something in their hands; they did not like people to know that
they could not see anything. The emperor marched in the procession
under the beautiful canopy, and all who saw him in the street and out
of the windows exclaimed: "Indeed, the emperor's new suit is
incomparable! What a long train he has! How well it fits him!" Nobody
wished to let others know he saw nothing, for then he would have been
unfit for his office or too stupid. Never emperor's clothes were more
admired.

"But he has nothing on at all," said a little child at last. "Good
heavens! listen to the voice of an innocent child," said the father,
and one whispered to the other what the child had said. "But he has
nothing on at all," cried at last the whole people. That made a deep
impression upon the emperor, for it seemed to him that they were right;
but he thought to himself, "Now I must bear up to the end." And the
chamberlains walked with still greater dignity, as if they carried the
train which did not exist. THE END.
;-)
Tell the truth and the devil be damned.

Toedipper
2006-12-03 17:55:11 UTC
Phil,

The reality is that he is just using an Apple as a physical shell, under
the bonnet he is running Linux. Read the quote below.

Nice bit of spin and nice try Phil but not this time lol.

toe
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac,

although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Vance
And besides, even if he was using Mac OS X, OS X is unix based also.
House of Chin
2006-12-03 19:37:13 UTC
I find that quite interesting !

So it's possible to use Apple hardware to run non-Apple software
i.e. no 'design constrains' on the hardware to only run Mac O/S ??

Then it's good, because in that case i'll also seriously consider
using the SuSE Linux 10 O/S on an Apple PC in future !

Seems to me Apple of late is like trying to follow what the bus &
coach industry does ?? Meaning offering integral-construction
products as well as chassi-only models with 3rd party bodywork etc.
something along those lines ?? of course i'm 'borrowing' terms from
the automotive industry to point my point so make the respective
analogy adjustments to suit the subject matter here !
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Mark Rae
2006-12-07 16:47:38 UTC
My Mac Mini PowerPC dual boots between MacOSX and Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy).
h***@virgin.net
2006-12-03 21:03:17 UTC
Post by Toedipper
Phil,
The reality is that he is just using an Apple as a physical shell, under
the bonnet he is running Linux. Read the quote below.
Nice bit of spin and nice try Phil but not this time lol.
toe
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac,
although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Do you believe that? can you imagine giving up the Apple operating
system
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html
for Linux, what would be the point? It wouldn't happen.

The 36-year-old Finn living in Portland, Oregon
Torvalds ( works full time overseeing the development of Linux )
which he created back in 1991 while at university in Helsinki.

If you earn your living from Linux, you are not going to say
that you are using an Apple system.

I found the above on "CNN" I cannot bring myself to paste such a
rubbish
link.

I also found this one "About Linus Torvalds"
http://www.linux.org/info/linus.html
It also has a photograph he looks a bit like a child murderer
or somebody who is doing something very unnatural.
Must be just a bad photograph.

Pickled pigs knuckles
2006-12-04 03:50:29 UTC
Post by h***@virgin.net
Post by Toedipper
Phil,
The reality is that he is just using an Apple as a physical shell, under
the bonnet he is running Linux. Read the quote below.
Nice bit of spin and nice try Phil but not this time lol.
toe
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac,
although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Do you believe that?
You moronic fucktard, what reason would Linus have to lie about it? You're
so fucking stupid you make cacti cry.
Jos Herni
2006-12-07 10:30:45 UTC
Post by h***@virgin.net
Post by Toedipper
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac,
although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Do you believe that? can you imagine giving up the Apple operating
system
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html
for Linux, what would be the point? It wouldn't happen.
I do, I use Ubuntu 6.10 on my Apple Powerbook PPC. I find Gnome a whole
lot better than OSX. But I think that Linux does not agree with me, he is
using KDE (suse I understand)
--
/Jos

Herrie van Herni: http://www.herni.net
Linux op mijn desktop: http://www.digiplace.nl
h***@virgin.net
2006-12-07 14:21:23 UTC
Post by Jos Herni
Post by h***@virgin.net
Post by Toedipper
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac,
although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it
a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Do you believe that? can you imagine giving up the Apple operating
system
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html
for Linux, what would be the point? It wouldn't happen.
I do, I use Ubuntu 6.10 on my Apple Powerbook PPC. I find Gnome a whole
lot better than OSX. But I think that Linux does not agree with me, he is
using KDE (suse I understand)
--
/Jos
Herrie van Herni: http://www.herni.net
Linux op mijn desktop: http://www.digiplace.nl
Linux:
You've got to make us strong - we're the Glorious Generation! We're
going to track down all the thought criminals and traitors! We'll shoot
them! We'll vapourise them! Whoever they are!

h***@virgin.net
2006-12-07 15:31:05 UTC
Post by h***@virgin.net
You've got to make us strong - we're the Glorious Generation! We're
going to track down all the thought criminals and traitors! We'll shoot
them! We'll vapourise them! Whoever they are!
The Ministry of information have banned all the following words these
phrases no longer exist
anybody using these phrases will immediately become a nonperson.

God fuck the Queen.
Niggers.
Negroes.
Pakis curry munching stinking bastards.
Poofs.
Happy Christmas.
Freedom.
Literature.

We're not only inventing words, we're destroying them - scores of them,
thousands every day. It's beautiful.
The simplicity of it, of course. For one example, just take the word
'good' If you have that, what need is there for
the word bad? Ungood does just as well. Then, instead of a string of
vague extra words like excellent and
splendid, you have plusgood, or stronger still 'doubleplusgood'. In
Newspeak, the whole notion of goodness
and badness will be covered by six words. In reality, by only one word.
Don't you see the beauty of that, HAHAHA!

There will be no love, but the love of the Ministry. No laughter, but
the laughter of triumph over a defeated enemy. No art, no science, no
literature, no enjoyment, but always and only, there will be the thrill
of power. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping
on a human face forever.

Aragorn
2006-12-07 15:19:09 UTC
<non-GNU/Linux-related newsgroups snipped from target field and follow-up
set accordingly>

On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:30, Jos Herni stood up and addressed the
Post by Jos Herni
Post by h***@virgin.net
Post by Toedipper
Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly.
"My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's
physically a regular Apple Mac, although it obviously only runs Linux,
so I don't think you can call it a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.
Do you believe that? can you imagine giving up the Apple operating
system http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html
for Linux, what would be the point? It wouldn't happen.
I do, I use Ubuntu 6.10 on my Apple Powerbook PPC. I find Gnome a whole
lot better than OSX.
Hmm... ;-)
Post by Jos Herni
But I think that Linux does not agree with me, he is using KDE (suse I
understand)
I can't tell you what distribution Linus Torvalds uses and I wouldn't be
surprised if he built a distro from scratch, but last I heard he was using
neither KDE nor Gnome. He's using WindowMaker instead. ;-)
--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
google01013
2006-12-07 15:25:52 UTC
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:19:09 -0500, Aragorn <***@telenet.invalid>
wrote:

<snip>
Post by Aragorn
I can't tell you what distribution Linus Torvalds uses and I wouldn't be
surprised if he built a distro from scratch, but last I heard he was using
neither KDE nor Gnome. He's using WindowMaker instead. ;-)
since Linus tells people they should use KDE I would think that that's
what he uses
houghi
2006-12-07 15:45:53 UTC
Post by google01013
since Linus tells people they should use KDE I would think that that's
what he uses
No no no. When he was asked to choose between the two, he choose KDE for
reasons that applied to him.

That is not the same as asking what he actualy runs. It is a pity that
people can only think there are two choices. It is as if you were
asking: "What is you favorite leg, the left one or the right one?" Then
answer how you feel what leg is the best for you.

Now ask the question differently: What is your favorite limb below your
navel? I am sure very few men will answer that either their left or
their right leg is their favorite limb.

I know what mine is. :-)

houghi
--
Post by google01013
Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources
for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 fuck $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less
google01013
2006-12-07 16:19:49 UTC
Post by houghi
Post by google01013
since Linus tells people they should use KDE I would think that that's
what he uses
No no no. When he was asked to choose between the two, he choose KDE for
reasons that applied to him.
That is not the same as asking what he actualy runs. It is a pity that
people can only think there are two choices. It is as if you were
asking: "What is you favorite leg, the left one or the right one?" Then
answer how you feel what leg is the best for you.
Now ask the question differently: What is your favorite limb below your
navel? I am sure very few men will answer that either their left or
their right leg is their favorite limb.
I know what mine is. :-)
houghi
Please note I said " I would think that that's what he uses", not "that's
what he uses"
What appears to be definitive is that he doesn't use Gnome
from http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
"I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus"

so what does he actually run on his Mac?
h***@virgin.net
2006-12-07 16:35:58 UTC
Post by google01013
so what does he actually run on his Mac?
Questioning. You have doubts?

Nonperson.

Quickly finger-pointing Ministry of information.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.php

Clones.. I must go I have other things to do.

google01013
2006-12-07 16:42:45 UTC
Post by h***@virgin.net
Post by google01013
so what does he actually run on his Mac?
Questioning. You have doubts?
Gee might help to have read the thread - the topic of discussion was what
desktop, not what os
Harold Stevens
2006-12-07 19:47:25 UTC
[Trimmed newsgroups (WTF?) soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.hongkong]

In <***@circus.site> google01013:

[Snip...]
the topic of discussion was what desktop, not what os
That's just for starters; the wintards don't seem to realize Linux and FOSS
generally don't need eyecandy to continue thriving. Desktop, who cares? The
issue at hand is liberty, not mindless glitz.

What you're seeing here is Monkey Boy and his Orcs in total panic after the
yawns greeting release of Vista. So, AFTER FIVE YEARS, just more overpriced
buggy toyware--that's it, Bill? WTF?

(Same for Novell and their recent BogoPatent "arrangement" with The Borg)
houghi
2006-12-07 17:11:08 UTC
google01013 wrote:
<snip>
Post by google01013
so what does he actually run on his Mac?
Obviously the best there is: Windowmaker. (Well, you had to ask.)

houghi
ray
I suppose if someone gave me a MAC, I might use it.
h***@virgin.net
2006-12-07 16:15:28 UTC
Post by ray
Post by Philip
Torvalds, who initially created Linux for the Intel x86 platform,
revealed to the Linux Kernel Mailing List in February during a
discussion on kernel size reduction that his desktop machine no longer
featured an x86 processor. Hence, Torvalds said, a patch specific to
the x86 platform that he was submitting to the list for consideration
was totally untested.
ZDNet Australia was intrigued by this remark and sought to question
Torvalds on why the man who helped revolutionize the use of Unix on the
x86 platform would move away from it, and where he had moved to
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d//i/ne/en/2002/01/0130torvalds.jpg
"Part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds. "I'm
really a technology whore".
I suppose if someone gave me a MAC, I might use it.
You have just become a nonperson.
Repeat after me Linux, Linux, Linux is good Linux, is the truth the
only truth is Linux.